All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Sunday, December 02, 2007

B-52 Crash Site Looted

Thieves are stealing metal from the site of a 1963 B-52 crash on Elephant Mountain near Greenville.
The crash site is listed on the Maine Historic Archaeological Sites inventory, and a memorial service is held at the site each January, and yet thieves are stealing the metal from the aircraft to resell, according to Investigator Allen Emerson of the Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Department.
The theft involving the B52 remains was discovered last weekend when visitors who walked to the site interrupted two men who were filling 5-gallon pails with metal, Emerson said. The two men fled when they realized they had company. Emerson said the men apparently ran to their pickup truck parked below the wreckage and took off. [Link]
This video gives a sense of the size of the debris field.

7 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, December 05, 2007, Blogger Jessica said...

That is terrible! I visited that crash site about 2 years ago with my ex husband, his brother and his brothers wife, it was a really interesting visit... thats really horrible that people would be stealing the debris!

 
At 5:31 PM, July 07, 2009, Blogger michael said...

My wife and I visited the crash site on July 4th, and I cried for 20 min.. May God bless the family,s of our hero's who died on the mountain. The men who died there were part of America's best, and the crash site should be respected. I'll never forget my brothers in arms who died there that day. Thanks to the Mainers who have worked to preserve history, and honor the fallen. Msgt. Michael McFalls, U.S. Air Force, Ret.

 
At 11:09 PM, April 23, 2010, Blogger meanjean said...

My Uncle Michael was one of the Airmen to die in this crash. It is only in recent years that my family and I learned of the memorial and the services that are held at the site. I am grateful to see the respect and honor that T-SGT Michael F.O'Keefe and his fellow crew are shown. Thank you for sharing this video, I hope to visit the site in person some day soon.

 
At 12:29 PM, June 11, 2010, Blogger chopmax said...

This msg. is for meanjean. My father, Capt. R.(Max) Bishop, Sr., was a navigator on Michael's crew for many years 'till June 1962. Michael took my family to visit his parents in NYC, and took us to a Yankees game,Bronx Zoo,etc. We socialized many times w/ Michael as he was loved by my entire family. We were devastated by his loss.

 
At 2:39 PM, June 05, 2012, Blogger divanot said...

My father piloted this plane. The fact that people have stolen artifacts from the site of this tragic crash in which he lost his crew, his friends and nearly his life, is wrenching and disturbing. What can people possibly be thinking?! I am heartbroken.

 
At 9:05 AM, June 06, 2012, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Divanot, America's best are still flying high! Those small people who choose to steal and desecrate the crash site will find out, " what goes around, comes around", and will suffer either here or in the hereafter. My family and I all deeply appreciate the service of your father and his crew. God Bless, Michael,USAF Ret.

 
At 9:48 PM, January 13, 2013, Blogger Joey Stinkwagon said...

you can find the stuff on Ebay every other week or so. They are selling the pieces as collectibles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home