All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Friday, March 30, 2007

Teddy Roosevelt at Bible Point

Theodore Roosevelt vacationed in Island Falls in Aroostook County in 1878 and 1879. The spot where he and his guides camped at the foot of Mattawamkeag Lake was dubbed "Bible Point" for Roosevelt's habit of retiring to the woods to read scripture. The Point was added to the State Register of Historic Places in 1970.

Roosevelt remembered his trips to Maine fondly in a letter printed in the 1919 public-school reader Maine, My State:
I was rather tired by some of the all-day tramps, especially in the deep snow, when my webbed racquets gave me “snowshoe feet”, or when we waded up the Munsungin in shallow water, dragging a dugout, until my ankles became raw from slipping on the smooth underwater stones; and I still remember with qualified joy the ascent and especially the descent of Katahdin in moccasins, worn because I had lost one of my heavy shoes in crossing a river at a riffle.

I also remember such delicious nights, under a lean-to, by lake or stream, in the clear fall weather, or in winter on balsam boughs in front of a blazing stump, when we had beaten down. I’d shoveled away the deep snow, and kept our foot-gear away from the fire, so that it should not thaw and freeze; -- and the meals of venison, trout, or partridge; and one meal consisting of muskrat and a fish-duck, which, being exceedingly hungry, we heartily appreciated. [p. 17]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home