Portland Freedom Trail
Portland is getting its own Freedom Trail, with markers and plaques at important black history sites around the city. The first marker was installed last fall at Eastern Cemetery at Congress and Mountfort streets.
SITES TO RECEIVE GRANITE PEDESTAL MARKERS
- First Parish Church
- Friends' (Quaker) Meeting House in Lincoln Park
- Mariners' Church on corner of Fore & Moulton Sts.
- Second Hand Clothing Store of Lloyd Scott on Exchange St.
- Home of Deacon Brown Thurston on corner of Union & Fore Sts.
- Casco Bay Wharf on Commercial St.
- Home of Samuel Fessenden
- Abyssinian Church
- Eastern Cemetery in front of known gravesites on Congress St.
- Home of Reuben Ruby on Hampshire St.
- Hack Stand of Charles Pierre on Middle & India Sts.
- Barber Shop of Charles Eastman on Congress St.
- Home of Elias and Elizabeth Widgery Thomas - 53 India St.
- Home of Charles Frederick, Harriet Stephenson Eastman, Alexander Stephenson- 11 Sumner St. now Newbury St.
- Home of Rev. Amos N. and Christiana Freeman - 12 Hancock St.
- Home of Sophia Ruby Manuel- 19 Hampshire St.
SITES TO RECEIVE PLAQUES
- Neal Dow Memorial House - 714 Congress St.
- Evergreen Cemetery - 672 Stevens Ave.
- John Brown Russwurm House - 238 Ocean Ave.
- Grave of Reuben Ruby - Forest City Cemetery, So. Portland
- Williams Temple Church of God In Christ
- Green Memorial AME Zion Church