All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Railroad Graffiti

Author/photographer Murad Saÿen of South Paris has three stunning galleries of Railroad Graffiti on his website, Shadowchasers.com. These are some of the 1,500+ images of boxcars in his database.
In April of 2004 I began photographing graffiti on boxcars that were parked on a siding in our rural town in western Maine. I had been sitting at a crossing waiting for a train to pass, and noticed some of the paintings due to their brilliant color and bold graphic qualities. When I began to visit the siding on a regular basis, I was amazed and pleased to see a vast variety of styles and abilities represented in the work I found there.
Saÿen is also the author of 2003's Maine: The Home Place, well described as a "dazzling photographic tribute to the land, people, and sheer beauty of 'the other Maine.'" His prints may be seen at the Domaine Gallery in Portland

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home