All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Deer Tails

Sayward Lamb has a book called Deer Tails and Other Tales coming out this month. His favorite story is called "Blaze Orange Hat," and tells of the time he and his sons shot a deer in Woodstock, then hid the evidence in a depression so an approaching stranger wouldn't move in on their hunting grounds.
“I happened to glance towards the deer, and noticed the white hair around the tail was exposed, and very noticeable,” wrote Lamb. “I was frantically trying to think of a way to get rid of the man, when a real bright idea popped into my head.

“I promptly announced, ‘I have to take a _ _ _ _.’ Then I proceeded to take off my hunting jacket and threw it over the rear end of the deer, covering up that very noticeable white spot.

“With greatly exaggerated movements, I pulled my heavy red suspenders off from my shoulders. I took a step towards the stranger, turning around as I did so, and immediately dropped my britches,” — right over the man’s feet.

Seeing Lamb’s intent, the hunter hastened to leave.

Lamb wonders how many people the hunter later told about the old man “who would have messed on his boots if he had not moved out of the way.” [Link]
Lamb also is a contributor to Maine Hunting Today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home