Two Maine Gazetteers
NewEnglandTowns.org offers descriptions of Maine's counties and towns from Hayward's New England Gazetteer of 1839. Here's the entry for the now-defunct town of Barnard:
All the knowledge we can obtain in regard to this town is that it lies in the county of Piscataquis, 108 miles from Augusta;—that in 1837, there were 132 people in the town, and that they raised 444 bushels of wheat, the same year;—that this town received $264 of the surplus revenue;—that in 1837, Augustus W. Walker and others, obtained an act of the legislature for quarrying slate, and that Stephen Palmer is, or was, Postmaster.Ray's Place has entries from George J. Varney's 1886 Gazetteer of the State of Maine, including one for Old Orchard Beach—set off from Saco and incorporated as "Old Orchard" in 1883.
Now, the good people of Barnard are hereby respectfully requested to give the editor their latitude and longitude, and other necessary information for future editions. Citizens of other towns, similarly situated, and of all towns who may wish more full descriptions of their resources, &c, than we are able, at present, to give, are also requested to forward their communications. [Link]
Old Orchard Beach lies between Wood Island Light at the mouth of the Saco River and Prout's Neck in Scarborough. This beach has been called the finest in New England. Its actual limits are from near the mouth of the Saco to Pine Point near the mouth of Scarborough River, having the form of the arc of a circle. At low tide the beach is about 300 feet in width, of fine, hard, smooth sand, at no point wholly interrupted by rocks for the whole distance of 9 miles, and affording an excellent drive-way; while from the absence of undertow, the surf-bathing is perfectly safe. [Link]