State-chartered banks used to be able to issue their own paper money. Here are some images of Maine notes I've found online:
- 1835 Washington County Bank $5 note
- 1855 Frankfort Bank $1 note
- 1861 Sanford Bank $2 note
- 1861 Sanford Bank $10 note
- 1902 Canal National Bank of Portland $20 note
- 1909 Portland National Bank $5 note
- donckelly.com: Maine Obsoletes — A large collection of notes issued by banks in Bangor, Canaan, Shina, Eastport, Ellsworth, Frankfort, Fryeburg, Hallowell, Portland, Sanford, Searsport, Thomaston, and Wiscasset.
- My Obsolete Bank Notes — Samples from The Washington County Bank, The Frankfort Bank, The Bank of the Georgia Lumber Company (Portland), The Union Bank (Brunswick), The Hancock Bank (Ellsworth), The Ship Builders Bank (Rockland), The American Bank (Hallowell), The Sanford Bank, The Searsport Bank, and The International Bank (Portland).
- RR Rare Coins & Currency: Obsolete Bank Notes Inventory — Notes issued in Bangor, Brewer, Buckstown (now Bucksport), Calais, Hallowell, Sanford, and Wiscasset.
- 1929 National Bank Notes — Issued by banks in Bath, Lewiston, and Portland