All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Lewiston Fourth-Grader Wins $5,000

11-year-old Cleo Miller won $5,000 for her South Lewiston Little League team by writing an essay for the Briggs & Stratton Diamonds in the Rough contest. Much of the money will go towards improvements to the team's softball field. You can read her complete winning entry on the team's website.
Softball has helped me gain strength and has helped me stay active. I think more kids would be more healthy and not as grumpy if they played softball. It’s not only good for you, but it’s FUN! I have severe food allergies and because of that, I am not always confident in myself. But playing softball has helped my confidence because when I step up to the plate to bat, I feel power, and I feel “it’s up to me”. And then when I hit that ball, I feel like weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I run as fast as I can. It’s so thrilling! If our ball fields were better, more kids could have that same feeling, except maybe it would be even better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home