All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Charlotte's Web Truly a Maine Classic

The new Charlotte's Web movie due out next Christmas was filmed in Victoria, Australia—nowhere near North Brooklin, Maine, where E. B. White conceived and wrote his 1952 classic.

White explained the book's genesis in a letter sent to children who inquired:
As for Charlotte's Web, I like animals and my barn is a very pleasant place to be, at all hours. One day when I was on my way to feed the pig, I began feeling sorry for the pig because, like most pigs, he was doomed to die. This made me sad. So I started thinking of ways to save a pig's life. I had been watching a big grey spider at her work and was impressed by how clever she was at weaving. Gradually I worked the spider into the story that you know, a story of friendship and salvation on a farm. Three years after I started writing it, it was published. (I am not a fast worker, as you can see.) [Link]
As of 2000, Charlotte's Web was the best-selling children's paperback of all time.
[tagged: ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home