All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Kirby's Maine Connection

The late, great Kirby Puckett was playing in Maine when called up to the majors in 1984. In a 2002 Downeast article, Chad Finn remembered seeing him play at The Ballpark:
The Guides lost to the Toledo Mud Hens by something like a 17-1 score. Of all the Mud Hens who circled the bases that day, it was a rotund, shiny-scalped outfielder with an easy smile who caught my eye. I asked my dad, holding the game program, for the player's name.

"Kirby Puckett," he said, adding indifferently, "A guy built like that will never make it."

A week later, Puckett was gone, up to the big leagues and the Minnesota Twins. I doubt he's been back to Toledo or Old Orchard since, but he did make it to Cooperstown this summer. Kirby Puckett is a Hall of Famer. My dad still is not a scout. [Link]
[tagged: ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home