All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Thursday, February 23, 2006

WoodenThings

In his WoodenThings workshop in Bremen, Richard Corson turns bowls and vases from wood that otherwise would be left to rot. One of his goals, he says, is to "engender in the viewer of any of my pieces the same sense of enjoyment that I experience in the discovery of the beauty which Nature has created and has hidden within the wood."
My process of making woodturnings begins when I discover a suitable hardwood tree which has succumbed to wind, disease or possibly a local utility company. The concept that this otherwise wasted wood will be reincarnated in the form of a wooden bowl or wooden vase is pleasing to me. The thought of cutting down a living tree is not.
His "bird's mouth bowls" are especially striking, carved from entire cross-sections of trees, from central pith to bark.
[tagged: ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home