All Things Maine
All Things Maine

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Maine Couple Donates 'Found Art'

When Wayne and Ginny Libhart moved into an old Brewer farmhouse about 45 years ago, they discovered a treasure in the attic: a Fitz Henry Lane painting of Southwest Harbor. The last large Lane painting to come up at auction fetched $5 million; this one measures 24-by-14 inches.

The Libharts kept the painting at their home in Tremont until last month, when they donated it to the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland.
"I grew up in the Depression," Mr. Libhart says, explaining why he decided to give the painting away rather than auction it. "My mother had to put coins in different jars to manage the household budget. But after I served in World War II, I was put through college on the GI Bill; and after serving in Korea, I was put through Harvard Law School. I have been very fortunate. And Ginny and I believe when someone is as fortunate as we have been, it's an obligation to give something back. There was no question that the painting belonged at the Farnsworth." [Link]
tags:

2 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, January 19, 2006, Anonymous peter lindquist said...

Congratulations for Mainers to put into words the spirit and action of philanthropy ... " for others ".

Amen. We need more of it in this commercial, crass climate.

 
At 7:36 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

I agree. Their action is all the more appropriate given that their treasure was a "windfall."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home